MAFA engages in a variety of work related to its mission. Specifically, MAFA receives financial support from donors, makes grant awards to causes consistent with MAFA’s mission, and provides scholarships consistent with MAFA’s mission. Collectively, these operations are referred to herein as “MAFA’s Work”.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- Through your participation in MAFA’s Work, including
- your financial or other support of MAFA; or
- your application for financial support from MAFA, whether in the form of grants, scholarships, or otherwise; or
- ongoing financial support provided to you by MAFA, whether in the form of grants, scholarships, or otherwise
- through your use of this Web Site
- in email, text and other electronic communications between you and MAFA
1. Types of Information Collected.
a. Traffic Data Collected. MAFA automatically tracks and collects the following information when the User visits MAFA’s website (“Web Site”), including the User’s: (i) IP address; (ii) domain server; (iii) type of computer; (iv) type of web browser; (v) pages visited and duration; and (vi) search terms used to access the Web Sites (collectively “Traffic Data”). Traffic Data is anonymous information that does not personally identify the User but is helpful in the MAFA’s efforts to improve the User’s experience on the Web Site. MAFA may also use “cookies,” which are small data files that may be stored on the User’s computer by the Web Site, and clear gifs, which are tiny graphics that are similar in function to cookies. By using the site, you consent to these cookies.
b. Personal Information Collected. In order to allow Users to participate in MAFA’s Work, Users may provide information that personally identifies the User (“Personal Information”). Personal Information may include the following:
- Identity Data includes names, title, date of birth, and gender.
- Contact Data includes mailing address, telephone numbers, email address, and other digital contact information.
- Financial Data includes bank account and payment card details.
- Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving communications or solicitations from MAFA.
If the User communicates with MAFA by e-mail or completes online registration forms, surveys or other forms, any information provided in such communication also may be collected as Personal Information.
2. How We Use Your Personal Information. By providing Personal Information on or through the Web Site or otherwise, the User is authorizing MAFA to use that Personal Information. MAFA uses Personal Information (i) to respond to requests and inquiries, (ii) to send the User information about MAFA and MAFA’s Work, and (iii) to otherwise contact the User. Except as described herein and as may be required by court order, other governmental agency order or other official proceeding, MAFA does not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties Personal Information unless the User provides consent in advance.
The User may choose not to provide MAFA with any Personal Information. In such an event, the User can still access some of the Web Site; however, the User will not be able to access and use those portions of the Web Site that require the User’s Personal Information and MAFA may not be able to respond to certain inquiries of the User.
4. Your California Privacy Rights. California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits Users that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
5. Your European Privacy Rights. If applicable, you may have rights under European and other laws to have access to your Personal Information and to ask us to rectify, erase, and restrict use of your Personal Information. You may also have rights to object to your Personal Information being used, to ask for the transfer of Personal Information you have made available to us and to withdraw consent to the use of your Personal Information. Further information on how to exercise your rights is set out below.
We will honor your rights under applicable data protection laws. You have the following rights under European laws, and may have similar rights under the laws of other countries.
- Right of subject access: The right to make a written request for details of your Personal Information and a copy of that Personal Information.
- Right to rectification: The right to have inaccurate information about you corrected or removed.
- Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten’): The right to have certain Personal Information about you erased.
- Right to restriction of processing: The right to request that your Personal Information is used only for restricted purposes.
- Right to opt out of marketing: You can manage your marketing preferences by unsubscribe links found in the communications you receive from us or by visiting the applicable preference center.
- Right to object: The right to object to processing of your Personal Information in cases where our processing is based on the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or we have let you know the processing is necessary for our or a third party’s legitimate interests.
- Right to data portability: The right to ask for the Personal Information you have made available to us to be transferred to you or a third party in machine-readable format.
- Right to withdraw consent: The right to withdraw any consent you have previously given us to handle your Personal Information. If you withdraw your consent, this will not affect the lawfulness of our use of your Personal Information prior to the withdrawal of your consent.
These rights are not absolute and they do not always apply in all cases. In response to a request, we will ask you to verify your identity if we need to, and to provide information that helps us to understand your request better. If we do not comply with your request, whether in whole or in part, we will explain why.
6. Requests and Inquiries About User Personal Information. You may have any Personal Information submitted to MAFA through the Web Site or otherwise removed or modified by sending MAFA notice of such request through the following link email@example.com or by sending a written request to the following address:
44 East Camperdown Way
Greenville, SC 29601-3512
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The request must provide the User’s name and the information to be deleted or the modifications to be made. You must include either a telephone number of an email address for MAFA’s use in the event of any questions on the instructions provided by the User. Notwithstanding the foregoing, MAFA may retain Personal Information to the extent required to comply with applicable regulations or other applicable law.
7. Data Retention. We will retain your Personal Information only for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for Personal Information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your Personal Information, the purposes for which we process your Personal Information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements. In some circumstances we may anonymize your Personal Information so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we may use such information without further notice to you.
8. Data Security. We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your Personal Information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to MAFA. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures. In addition, we have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so. If you would like to know more about our data transfer practices or data security measures, please send an email to email@example.com.
9. Consent to Transfer Information to the United States. The Web Site is operated in the United States. If the User is located in the European Union, Canada or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that information MAFA collects will be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using the Web Site or providing MAFA with any information, the User consents to this transfer and processing of his or her information in the United States.
10. Links, Downloads and User Privacy. The Web Site may contain links to other web sites or forms for download and use. MAFA is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of web sites served by the links and in providing the link MAFA does not imply any endorsement, recommendation or approval of such sites. Furthermore, MAFA is not responsible for the privacy practices of any third party to which User submits any forms containing User’s information. The User accessing any such site or using any forms does so entirely at the User’s own risk.
11. Children’s Privacy. MAFA does not knowingly collect personally identifying information through the Web Site from online visitors under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 should provide any Personal Information to or through MAFA. If you are under 13, do not provide any information to MAFA and do not use MAFA’s Web Site. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org/.
Effective Date: October 30, 2018