Who We Are
The Mount Athos Foundation of America (MAFA) was founded by a group of American members of The Friends of Mount Athos (FoMA) who wanted to establish a US non-profit, public benefit corporation to support the monastic community of Mount Athos, the Holy Mountain. Many of our volunteers come from the American membership of FoMA. Our patrons and donors come from all over the United States. Working together, we strive to:
- PROTECT this monastic holy land as a pilgrimage site for all branches of Eastern Orthodox Christianity and all people seeking the spiritual renewal to be found there
- SUSTAIN everything that makes this UNESCO World Heritage Site unique
- FOSTER study, understanding, and appreciation of the history, religious culture, arts, architecture, natural history, and literature of the monasteries and monastic dependencies
MAFA aims to advance an understanding of, and provide benefit to, the monastic community of Mount Athos, located in northeastern Greece, in a variety of ways:
- restoration and preservation of historic monuments and artifacts
- fostering knowledge and understanding of the monastic communities
- supporting the operations of the 20 monasteries and their dependencies in times of need
To succeed in our mission, we depend on our patrons, donors, and volunteers.
The best scholarly work on Mt. Athos or a topic related to the Holy Mountain and its rich historical, ethnocultural, literary, theological, architectural, and iconographic traditions will be honored by a panel of scholars.